The Spirit of the Lord is upon us and He has anointed us –
to preach good news to the poor
heal the sick
raise the dead
bring light to those in darkness
heal the brokenhearted
proclaim liberty to captives
freedom to prisoners
comfort to those who mourn
to rebuild ancient ruins and restore places long devastated
to be a parish providing refuge to the storm-beaten and unconsoled
The Lord awakens us morning by morning to listen as His disciples
He has given us well-trained tongues to sustain the weary with a word
We keep our eyes fixed on God’s prophetic words spoken to us believers as on a lamp shining in a dark place—until the Day dawns, and Christ the Morning Star shines in our hearts. (2 Peter 1:19)
Behold all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Jesus Christ and He is with us always. Our mission is to go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that He has commanded us.
“I tell you the truth,
anyone who believes in Me will do the same works I have done,
and even greater works,
because I am going to be with the Father.”
– Jesus Christ, John 14:12
Mission of the Church:
- “Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.”” -Matt 28:18-20
- “And he said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” -Mark 16:15-16
- “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” -Acts 1:8
- “”Henceforward the Church…receives the mission of proclaiming and establishing among all peoples the Kingdom of Christ and of God, and she is on earth the seed and the beginning of that kingdom.” -CCC 768
— The Church exists to make disciples of Jesus.
— Disciples of Jesus exist in order to make other disciples of Jesus.
— Thus, every Catholic institution exists in order to make disciples.
- Parishes exist to make disciples.
- Dioceses exist to make disciples.
- Catholic schools exist to make disciples.
- Catholic hospitals exist to make disciples.
- Catholic colleges exist to make disciples.
- Catholic social services exist to make disciples.
Yes, they all have other things to do, but this is THE mission of each of these organizations. We have to start with this principle which give us our “WHY”. From there we can understand what happens when we lose our “why”.
cf. Catholic Missionary Disciples, CatholicMissionaryDisciples.